NATO Training - Communications Equipment
A dizzying array of period-correct, military-issue communications equipment is deployed with East Wind. The good news here is that most of it is well designed and easy to use so you really do not have to know that much to actually use it in the field. None the less, the more you know, the better you generally are at putting this equipment to work for you. Here you will find a series of period correct videos covering both the basics of how radio works as well as the use of some of our primary communication systems. Additionally, our TM database provides the manuals on most of our primary systems in downloadable .pdf format so that you can read up on them if you'd like.
Principles and Practice of Operations:
- Principals of Frequency Modulation video - DoD video from 1964.
- Basic Telephony video - DoD video from 1961. Field phones, heavily used at East Wind, are simple telephones.
- Communicating Right - GTA 11-01-006, PDF of a modern U.S. Army reference card training aid. Includes prowords, simple tips on security and so on.
- Send a Radio Message - GTA 11-01-007, PDF companion to the above. I'd get them both.
- Armor Communications - Electronics Data - U.S. Army Manual ST 24-18-1, July 1978. Covers many principles of tactical communications use for the East Wind era.
- FM 24-18 - Single Channel Radio Communications - 1987
- PRC-77 manual - TM 11-5820-667-12, Technical Manual, Operators & Organizational Maintenance, Radio Set PRC-77. 1987
- PRC-77 video - How to use the PRC-77 radio.
- Radio Sets AN/URC-100 -User manual for the URC-111 radio in the NATO TOC.
- VRC-12 Operations Video - 1963
- SEM 52A Manual - West German tactical radio. Manual in German, but pretty usefully illustrated.
- PRC-351 & -352 - Scanned copy of the UK MoD User Handbook for Radio Stations UK/PRC-351 and UK/PRC-352, May 1977.
- Proper Use of the RC-292 Antenna - Scanned article from Fall 1985 edition of Army Communicator magazine.
- User Handbook for Radio station UK/PRC-349 - Scanned copy, July 1978.
- AN/PRC-128 Manual - Radio Set AN/PRC-128, RP Power Amplifier, and Adapter Group OF-185/PRC, Original from January 1991.
- TA-312 - Article from PS Magazine on PM and repair of the TA-312 Field Phone.
- TA-312 Parts - Additional information from PS Magazine with parts list for the TA312 phone.
- Field Phone Wire - Longer article from PS Magazine about field phone wire.
- Field Phone Wire PM - Article from PS Magazine on conducting PM and recovery of field phone wire.
- Field Phone Wire Splicing - Article from PS Magazine with additional information on splicing wire.
- SB22 Battery Holder - Article from PS Magazine with parts and maintenance tips for the unusual battery holder for the SB22 Switchboard.
- RL31 - Article from PS Magazine on the RL31 Reel.
- RL39 - Article from PS Magazine on the RL39 Reel, focusing on difficultly maintaining this unit as it is very old.
- RL39 - Article from PS Magazine on the RL39 Reel, slightly different from above.