NATO Training - U.K. Army Specific Training
We have collected a variety of resources for the U.K. attendee to make use of at East Wind. Take the time to read up on the skills you'll need in the field, the equipment you'll likely be using as well as the specific manners in which the British Army operates. It is also recommended that you review equipment usage within the U.S. Army training page since much of that equipment is available for use to the U.K. attendees.
Basic Skills for the Squaddie
- Introduction to Baseplate (1-2-3) Compasses - Video covering U.K. issue Silva and Suunto compasses.
- UK Infantry School Map Reading Manual – Infantry school map reading manual.
The Infantry Section
- Duties within a Section – Outlines the general duties within a Section.
- Simple example patrol order – An example patrol order.
- The Duties of a PL SGT in the advance – The duties of a PL SGT in the advance, a good guide to what every squaddie should be considering.
- 12th Albion Lancers TAM - 12th Albion Lancers Tactical Aide Memoire covers orders and templates.
- Reconnaissance Patrol .ppt – The recce patrol.
- The Recce Patrol Part 1 of 2- Period training film and riveting as only training films can be.
- The Recce Patrol Part 2 of 2-Period training film.
- Patrolling .ppt – General patrolling presentation.
- Finding the Enemy Part 1 of 2-Patrolling training film.
- Finding the Enemy Part 2 of 2 - Patrolling training film.
- The Section Attack .ppt – Overview of the Section in the attack.
- Section Fire and Manoeuvre Part 1 of 3 - Period training film.
- Section Fire and Manoeuvre Part 2 of 3- Period training film.
- Section Fire and Manoeuvre Part 3 of 3- Period training film.
- Break Contact Drills – Counter-ambush and break contact drills.
- The Fighting Patrol 1/2 - Period video overview of a Fighting Patrol 1 of 2. riveting as only training films can be.
- The Fighting Patrol 2/2 - Period video overview of a Fighting Patrol 2 of 2.
- Fighting in the Woods Training Film - Training Film Fighting in the Woods 1982.
- FIghting in Built up Areas - Training film FIBUA c.1990.
- User Handbook for Radio station UK/PRC-349 - Scanned copy, July 1978.
- PRC-351 & -352 - Scanned copy of the UK MoD User Handbook for Radio Stations UK/PRC-351 and UK/PRC-352, May 1977.
- Defense of Duffer's Drift – Classic small unit leaders reading exercise.
- British Army TAM pt 1 – Part 1 of the BA TAM, 12th Lancer's TAM extracted from here.
- British Army TAM pt 2 – Part 2 of the BA TAM, 12th Lancer's TAM extracted from here.
- British Army TAM pt 3 – Part 3 of the BA TAM.
- Night Sensor Summary - Article summarizing night vision and thermal imaging history and use, from the UK point of view. Goes into some detail on operating characteristics. Unattributed, but appears to be shortly after the 1990-91 Gulf War, so period correct.