NATO Training - Vehicles & Material Handling
A number of vehicles are employed at East Wind. This is posted more as a service to those who are looking at purchasing their own NATO vehicle for East Wind or those who are just interested in the vehicles in general. Vehicles are privately owned, and should have all PM completed, so you are unlikely to be pressed into service to maintain a vehicle in the field, except as muscle power to remove one from a ditch, and so forth.
Drivers of vehicles must be specifically pre-authorized. Do not think just because you watched all the videos, you are now certified to operate any of these vehicles.
- Hydraulic Brake video -
- Principals of Hydraulic Steering video -
- Principals of Air Brakes video -
- All Terrain Vehicle Test video - DoD video, Operation Swamp Fox II, 1964.
- Driving with NODs - FM 21-305, also blackout instructions for vehicle operation.
- Series 1030 Heater - South Wind Fuel Fired Heater Manual
- UH 48 E - TM 9-4520-260-13 manual for shelter heater
- DA-750-33 Charging System Troubleshooting (The Easy Way) Dec 1976 A DA pamphlet covering troubleshooting the charging systems found on most of the U.S. military trucks. Covers both the 25 amp generator systems as well as the 60 amp alternators.
Painting procedures and patterns
- TM 43-0139 - PAINTING INSTRUCTIONS FOR ARMY MATERIEL, 1988.
- TB 43-0209 - COLOR, MARKING, AND CAMOUFLAGE PAINTING OF MILITARY VEHICLES, CONSTRUCTION EQUIPMENT AND MATERIALS HANDLING EQUIPMENT, 1990. This pdf covers the 3 color woodland or "NATO" paint pattern that was the standard for vehicles during the East Wind time frame. Most vehicles that would have been current at that time, get this pattern.
- TB 43-0147 - COLOR, MARKING, AND CAMOUFLAGE PATTERNS USED ON MILITARY EQUIPMENT, 1975. This PDF covers the one generation back MERDC pattern that would have been seen on equipment and vehicles that were no longer current and were due for replacement soon. At East Wind, we prefer this pattern on the M151 series vehicles, the M37 series, etc. For Europe correct MERDC pattern is the temperate European pattern using 34079 Forest Green, 30118 Field Drab Brown, 30277 Sand and 911 flat black.
- Colorised patterns used on East Wind vehicles A link to patterns from the above documents that have been color enhanced and saved as .jpg files for use as reference material while painting.
Materials handling equipment & procedures
- Unloading a Ward Container video - DoD video, from 1973.
- Loading a Ward Container video - As well as disassembly of the container. DoD video, from 1973.
- TM 9-2320-289-20 - Unit Maintenance Manual for all 1000-series CUCVs
- TM 9-2320-266-34 - DIRECT AND GENERAL SUPPORT MAINTENANCE MANUAL for M88x-series 5/4-ton trucks
- TM 9-2320-289-34 - Intermediate Maintenance Manual for all 1000-series CUCVs
- TM9-2320-289-10 - Operators Manual for all 1000-series CUCVs
- Safe Operation of the M151 DOD video covering important details of the operation of the M151 series truck. If you are doing anything at East Wind in or around an M151, you really should watch this video.
- M151 Power Pack Removal - DoD video, M151 ENGINE FOUR CYLINDER OHV PART I (1962)
- TM 9-2320-218-10 - Operators Manual for M151A1 (Old)
- TM 9-2320-218-10 - Operators Manual for M151A1/A2 and Variants (March 1983 Edition)
- TM 9-2320-218-20 - Organizational Maintenance Manual for M151A1, M151A2
- TM 9-2320-218-20-1-1 - Organizational Maintenance Manual for M151A2 Part 1
- TM 9-2320-218-20-1-2 - Organizational Maintenance Manual for M151A2 Part 2
- TM 9-2320-218-34-1 - Direct Support and General Support Maintenance Manual for Truck, 1/4-Ton, 4x4, M151A2 Series
- TM 9-2320-218-34P - Direct Support and General Support Maintenance Repair Parts and Special Tools List for Truck, 1/4-Ton, 4x4, M151A2 Series
- LO 9-2329-218-12 - Lube Order for M151A2
Iltis (Volkswagen Type 183)
- M-5-02 Component Removal and Installation - (No title page) C-30-108-000/MP-001
Light Cargo Trucks
M880 series Cargo Truck (and Ambulance), 1-1/4 ton 4x4 and M890 series 4x2 (Dodge)
M44 series 2-1/2 ton trucks (e.g. M35A2)
- TM 9-2320-361-10 - Operators Manual for M44A2 Series 2-1/2 Ton Trucks
- TM 9-2320-209-20-3-1 - Organizational Maintenance Manual for M44A2 Series 2-1/2 Ton Trucks, Part 1
- TM 9-2320-209-20-3-2 - Organizational Maintenance Manual for M44A2 Series 2-1/2 Ton Trucks, Part 2
- TM 9-2320-209-20-3-3 - Organizational Maintenance Manual for M44A2 Series 2-1/2 Ton Trucks, Part 3
- TM 9-2320-209-20-3-4 - Organizational Maintenance Manual for M44A2 Series 2-1/2 Ton Trucks, Part 4
- TM 9-2320-209-34-1 - Troubleshooting Manual for M44A2 Series 2-1/2 Ton Trucks, Part 1
- TM 9-2320-209-34-2-1 - Troubleshooting Manual for M44A2 Series 2-1/2 Ton Trucks, Part 2
- TM 9-2320-209-34-2-2 - Troubleshooting Manual for M44A2 Series 2-1/2 Ton Trucks, Part 3
- TM 9-2320-209-34-2-3 - Troubleshooting Manual for M44A2 Series 2-1/2 Ton Trucks, Part 4