From Operation East Wind
This is required equipment for WARPAC Forces participants.
All WARPAC participants must have a Warsaw Pact compass.
- The WARPAC uses 6000 mils, instead of 6400 mils so a NATO/US compass with make your bearings wrong.
Types of compasses
- There are several types/styles that have been tested/used at East Wind.
- There may be others - check with admin for approval.
- Work for basic direction work
- Inexpensive - but also prone to failure
- Not suitable for much serious orienteering
- Meet the requirement for non-leadership participants
Engineer or Marching compasses
East German Marching (left) or Soviet Engineer's (right)
- These compasses are very nice and work very well.
- They are not too expensive for their quality.
- Required for leadership roles for plotting of lines of march
- Can also be carried by Soldats that want to have something better than the wrist compass.