U.S. Army weapon system
All weapons will be checked during the check in process and no inappropriate weapons will be admitted to the event even as backups or parts.
Weapon rules are set in stone. We will make no exceptions to them.
The standard infantry rifle for US troops will be the M-16A1 or A2 rifle. All US Army troops attending East Wind will be required to have an approved M16 series rifle.
- We will accept any full sized M-16 rifle (including the A3 and A4) with a carry handle installed the entire time and standard M-16A2 type handguards in issued configuration.
- No add-on rails, or other customized parts will be allowed.
- Neither the M-14 nor the M-4 are acceptable for East Wind.
- For a support unit during our time frame a very common modification was an M16A1 rifle fitted with the newer A2 style hand guards and birdcage flash hider.
The M-24 is the period appropriate marksman's rifle for East Wind.
- M-24s are allowed ONLY for attendees who have already attended 2 prior East Wind events or have graduated US Army or US Marines sniper school.
- All accessories used with the M-24 must at least look like the correct equipment. This includes the scope, spotting scope, dragbag, etc.
- All attendees bringing an M24 rifle must also bring a standard M16 series rifle as well.
- The M-21 is not acceptable for East Wind.
The M-203 is the correct grenade launcher for US troops. It must be mounted to the M-16 rifle (as described above) using the correct handguards and mounting hardware.
- The M-79 grenade launcher is not allowed.
- No other variants of the M-203 (such as rail-mounted or free-standing) will be allowed. No other grenade launchers of any sort will be allowed.
Squad Automatic Weapons and Machine Guns
Acceptable Squad Automatic weapons are the M249 series weapons, M60 series weapons, and M240 series weapons. The M-2 .50 caliber Machine Gun will also be allowed, but is clearly not an individual weapon and must be employed from an appropriate tripod or vehicle mount.
- No scopes, rails, or customized parts will be allowed.
- All attendees who are bringing squad automatic weapons or machine guns must also bring a standard M16 series rifle as well.
The Beretta M-9 is the correct handgun for US troops.
The 1911A1 is an acceptable alternative.
- Handguns are only allowed for HQ/support staff, Support Weapon Gunners, Dedicated Vehicle crew, Sniper/DMR or Squad leaders (for use as a duty weapon)
- Only stock, unmodified 1911A1 configurations are allowed. No custom parts, no chrome, no Colt commanders, no double stack mags on the 1911.
- Handguns must be carried in USGI holsters.
- No other handguns are allowed.